Overnight fire at Italian eatery Cafe Da Pino (UPDATES)

Seattle Fire Department units responded to a call at Cafe Da Pino (2207 NE 65th St) just after 2 AM.

Details are few at this time, but KING 5 News’ overnight photographer, James S, said (via Twitter) that there was a small fire in the wall, and that no flames were visible outside the restaurant.

The building the small Italian eatery is located in also contains Vitality Pilates and Thrive Art School.

We will have more details about the fire and damage later in the morning, and will post updates here.

UPDATE (9:31 AM): Picture of the building taken at 8:30 AM shows minimal damage to the exterior of the building. Vitality Pilates at the west end of the building (out of the picture) appeared to be open.

Picture of building that houses Cafe Da Pino, taken the morning after the fire.

UPDATE (10:17 AM): We have details now about the fire from the Seattle Fire Department’s Kyle Moore.

Someone driving by around 2 AM called 911 after seeing flames coming from a wall of the restaurant. After forcibly entering the building, fire fighters encountered lots of smoke, but no flames or heat. They determined the cause was faulty knob and tube wiring in a wall, which had been smoldering for some time. The fire was cut out of the wall. There were no injuries, and the damage is estimated at $20,000 (primarily smoke damage).

UPDATE (12:29 PM): Q13 FOX has story up about the Cafe Da Pino fire, which includes a picture of where fire fighters had to forcibly enter the restaurant (the east side of the building).

UPDATE (3:14 PM): The Seattle Fire Department’s Fire Line site has some photos of this morning’s action.

Click the photo above to read "Electrical Wiring caused Fire at Ravenna Italian Restaurant" on Fire Line

Bryant house fire quickly tapped, no one injured (UPDATES)

A sharp-eyed neighbor called 911 after noticing a nearby two-story house (on the 6500 block of 37th Avenue NE) emitting smoke from the attic.

Twenty minutes later, responding Seattle Fire Department staff had the fire tapped. The fire had started in the kitchen of the home and spread upstairs to the attic, said the Seattle Fire Department’s Kyle Moore.

No one was home at the time of the fire.

UPDATE (1:05 PM): Seattle Red Cross is “assisting two adults and three children affected by the fire” (via Twitter).

UPDATE (3:19 PM): Some more details and fire safety tips from SFD PIO Kyle Moore (via email):

The cause was accidental. The homeowner accidentally activated the electric stove top with combustibles stored on top of the stove. Those combustibles ignited causing extensive damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to a majority of the house. A Seattle Fire Investigator estimates the damage at 50 thousand dollars to the structure and 20 thousand to the contents.

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) says cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries. Here are some safety tips from NFPA:

  • Be alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don’t use the stove or stovetop
  • Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
  • If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire—oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains—away from your stovetop.

Fire at Silver Cloud Inn this morning quickly extinguished

A shot from KING5's SkyKING helicopter of the Silver Cloud Inn this morning. (Photo courtesy KING5)

Just before 7AM this morning, the Seattle Fire Department was called to the Silver Cloud Inn (5036 25th Ave NE) between the Ravenna Neighborhood and the University Village.

View Silver Cloud Inn in a larger map

The hotel was evacuated during the incident. The fire was extinguished quickly, and there were no reports of injury.

Kyle Moore, Public Information Officer for the Seattle Fire Department, had more details (via email):

We received a call at 6:50 this morning. When firefighters arrived most of the flames were knocked down by the automatic sprinkler system in the hotel.

The sprinkler went off in a first inside the first floor room. The occupant went out of the room and pulled an alarm. The sprinklers doused most of the fire but there still was smoke in the bottom level hallway. 130 of the rooms of the hotel were occupied and about 200 people were evacuated from the hotel.

There were no reports of injuries.

The damage estimate is 10 thousand to the structure and 5 thousand dollars to contents.

The fire investigator is still waiting to speak with the occupant of the room to further determine the cause of the fire, which started in or next to his or her bed.

Class dismissed: Fire in bathroom at Roosevelt High School

Our next door neighbor blog to the west, Roosiehood, has a story up about a fire that occurred today in a second floor boys’ bathroom at Roosevelt High School (1399 NE 68th St).

RHS bathroom fire story, at The Roosevelt Neighborhood Blog (click to read)

Students and staff evacuated to the football field while firefighters checked things out. There were no injuries reported.

More on this story here, at Roosiehood.com.

No injuries in last night’s house fire in north Ravenna (UPDATE)

The Seattle Fire Department responded to a house fire on the 7300 block of 23rd Avenue NE at around 10:40 PM on Thursday evening.

No one was injured in the fire.

The cause of the fire is as yet undetermined, but I will update this story when I have more information.

UPDATE (8:29 AM): I’ve heard back from Seattle Fire Department spokeswoman Helen Fitzpatrick (via email):

The house fire at 7340 23rd Avenue Northeast was an accidental fire caused by a malfunctioning heater in a bedroom. There were no injuries. The estimated damage to the home and contents is $250,000.

North Seattle KOMO has a story up which includes a picture of the fire fighters in action last night.

View of the rear of the house, taken from the alley

As I arrived at the house this morning to take pictures, Engine 40 and her staff were on scene, watching the house.

Fire department staff will stay on scene until the cause of the fire has been determined. This is to both ensure that the building stays secure (“continuity of evidence” in case of an arson finding), and to make sure that the fire does not rekindle.

As I write this, there have already been three fire watch shift changes.

North side of the house

Fourteen fire department vehicles were dispatched to the house last night, which is considered to be a typical response for an incident like this one. The “extra” staff is on hand to provide support to those who are actively fighting the fire.

House fire on East Ravenna Blvd, no injuries

Flames escaping through the windows of the second floor apartment (Photo courtesy Dylan Cline)

Over a dozen area fire department vehicles were called to the 1800 block of Ravenna Blvd around 12:50 pm to battle a house fire. The resident of the apartment was home at the time, but was uninjured.

Showing the damaged second story apartment windows

The residence consisted of a rented out studio apartment on the second floor, and the office of an architect below.

Residents watch the action from the median

Fire department staff on scene said that the fire was started accidentally, in the apartment unit. Unfortunately for the renter, nothing appears to be salvageable.

I spoke with the apartment renter briefly at the scene. He said he’d been in the residence for about 6 or 7 years and greatly enjoys the neighborhood.

Two of the fourteen fire department vehicles called to the fire

The home itself was formerly a city light substation built in 1921, and found its second life through the work of the architect whose office is located on the first floor.  You can read more about Thomas Burkle’s work at his website, Architecture Inside Out (architectinside.com), and see photos of the residence in better times.

Fire department vehicles and staff on site at the residence, after the fire was extinguished.

UPDATE (3:40 PM): We have video of the fire and the firefighters putting it out (thank you to Benjamin):

Ravenna House Fire from b b on Vimeo.

UPDATE (6:14 PM): From the Seattle Times:

A house in Seattle’s Ravenna neighborhood burned Saturday in a fire sparked by overheated electrical wiring.

Flames were seen shooting out of the second floor before firefighters doused the blaze. Damage to the house was estimated at $120,000, said Lt. Sue Stangl of the Seattle Fire Department. Another $20,000 worth of property inside was lost.

UPDATE (10:14 PM): KING5.com has a few pictures up in a slideshow as well, some from Dylan and others from Dale Steinke of Phinneywood.com.


Thank you to Richard Lotz for the 911 site tweet and to Dylan Cline for the use of his photograph.